Wednesday 22 August 2012

The Barclays Preview Issue no. 3 2012

Hello golfers and punters,

Firstly to last weeks recap.

Well what can be said about last week. Punters will always look for positives (cheers to Quinny for trying to make me feel better) so lets focus on my "dangers" and how close they got.

Simpson, Dufner and Pettersson were all in with a show going into the final round, which incidently was delayed due to weather (some of these tour pros need to harden up, am I right weekend golfers??). I'm not sure the delay contributed to the result, but congrats must go to Sergio for ending a slump and winning not only the tournament, but a spot in the Ryder Cup.

As stated last week, form means nothing and JB Holmes reinforced that in the most emphatic way. Don't buy into the back him this week in case he backs up - my guys get one chance and one chance only. Unless I truly believe they can improve/win again etc. He can't.

Following a suggestion (thanks KGB), I will post a running tally so we can keep track of how we are going. This is based on my $25 spend per week, your outlay and therefore returns will most likely be different.

The tally will be near the top of the page in future issues.

Running tally (2 weeks) : $50

The Barclays

The playoffs begin and what a venue, Bethpage.

I believe you will need US Open type skills to do well this week, so with that in mind, I have selected Steve Stricker ($26). His record really speaks for itself, but just in case you've never heard of him:

He's only missed one cut this year (100% cuts made last year)
Has filled every place on the podium at this event since 2007
Is in form *gasp* with 3 top 10's in his past 4 starts.

I know this is not much of a stretch suggesting he can win, but I'm not trying to pick the 100-1 shot that nobody else does, I'm trying to select the winner. I think bigtime players step up when it counts and he is quality, so here's hoping he can get across the line for all of us.

I'll be having my $25 straight out on him this week, no top Aussie or top 25 bets, just go with the man that wears his hat too far forward.

I had planned to do some work on the Johnnie Walker event in Europe, but work has got in the way. I am not betting and haven't done the form, but I'll be keeping an eye on Anders Hansen ($34). I like the big Dane and wouldn't be surprised to see him do well. Feel free to have a little something on him with very little recommendation from me! Sometimes not doing the form can work!

Good luck to all playing and punting this weekend. Its the first round of my club championships, so I'd love to be writing this next week with a good round under my belt and a fistful of cash!

Cheers

Disco


No comments:

Post a Comment